You know, it’s been a while since I’ve done a Wednesday Reading post. Here are some posts I’ve enjoyed recently.
- Gnomeaggedon has some awesome SotA Tips, Better Than a Guide for those who, ahem, didn’t look at Strand as the ideal filler between Wintergrasp and Alterac Valley during the pre-3.3.3 honor grind. And yes, I love the map. :-)
- Ixobelle tries PvP and finds he likes it. Huzzah! (Via Larisa.)
- Dominic Hobbs does a fine job covering Destro 101 over at WoW Insider.
- This has nothing to do with PvP or Warlocks, but I quite enjoyed In Other News, Fire is Still Hot over at Pugging Pally. (Also, congrats on the LK10 kill!)
- I confess, I think of my Death Knight as a plate-wearing, melee Warlock. Psynister talks about that, and more, in Death Knights for Spellcasters.
- Krizzlybear writes an inspirational post on Why I Frost, and Why I Won’t Take Anyone’s Crap over at Frost is the New Black.
- Speaking of mages, which we weren’t, but I guess we are now, Craig over at Plagued Candles has a great write up on Focus Magic and how to use it. I love, love, love getting Focus Magic. It’s like Christmas for my DPS.
- Okay, I may have a bit of a conflict of interest here, but Arrens’ post on Roleplaying and You: Demons and Pets is a good look at playing your relationship with your Demon while roleplaying. (I suggested the topic, but hey, my blog, I can post links I like too!)
- Cass takes us through Maraudon: Pristine Waters, and I, for one, bless these maps every time she publishes a new one.
- MoodyDK over at Death Grip My Heart looks at the new Icy Touch and comes up with some choice names for it.
- Something a little different, but welcome and needed — Shieldbreakr at A Horde of One talks about ridding his server of offensive, racist trash, and I support his efforts. Pretend hate of the Horde or Alliance is one thing. Real hate is something altogether.
Here are just a few of the articles I’ve enjoyed over the past week:
- Gnomeaggedon rightly points out that It’s All About The Towers in Wintergrasp. As the Alliance on Durotan shifts almost entirely to defense, I have found that the real fighting is down south, where numbers are evenly matched (but Tenacity is in effect) and the battle is either won or lost by 1) Alliance success in taking down the towers or 2) the Horde overcommitting forces down south and not punching through the gate. I don’t envy the Horde position on Durotan right now.
- There Is No Try at Righteous Orbs talks about putting forth your best effort versus half-assing things. And endgame druids who heal in caster form.
- Cassandri at Hots & Dots Revisits Uldaman and likes what she finds there. I really like this series — the maps are well done, the commentary is spot on, and it’s a joy to go through dungeons with Lath and Cass.
- I struggle with Too Many Choices, too, and sometimes yearn for a time when I had fewer alts competing for attention. I really want to focus my attention on making someone as good as they can be (hence my rolling, uh, 5 level 19 twinks) and the alt/main dichotomy sometimes weighs heavily on me when I’m logging in.
- I remember learning about The Dunning-Kruger Effect in my introductory psychology course… and then in introductory management… and pretty much it’s totally, totally evident every time you log into the game and deal with other people. Critical QQ has an excellent post on it in Warcraft, which you should go read now.
Here are some posts I’ve enjoyed over the past week.
- The trend of calling fellow players out in posts continues, with Arrens and Psynister contributing very funny entries to the genre.
- Nibuca runs down where your DPS is as Affliction. All of those tips are great, and nearly all of them apply to Destruction, too.
- Ihra contemplates the nature and future of guilds, and wonders about being in multiple guilds at once. I’ve wondered this myself, as while I *like* hanging out with my raiding guild, I also have the desire to put many silly guild tags under my character’s names. Oh, and see how other guilds do things, but really, I’m about the funny tags. (<Fist Full of Cyns>, anyone?)
- Cass breaks down Gnomeregan, and OMG did I need that map. I’m not running it yet — still deciding what I’m doing with my level 24 paladin, to twink or not to twink, that is the question — but I am definitely someone who gets lost in an instance until I run it repeatedly.
- Anexxia breaks down some of the fun new toys in the revamped Armory. I’m of two minds about including gizmos on this site; on the one hand, SHINY, on the other hand, I’m a fan of simplicity. Rilgon has a lot of fun with it, too.
- Zach over at WowInsider has a great piece on fighting druids in PvP. The only thing I’d add is that once a druid turns into a tree, they become Banishable.
Over the holiday, I found myself reading:
Wow, this is almost becoming a weekly feature!
- The Great Stat Enigma over at Fel Fire is a great introduction into Warlock gear itemization. I share Aphroditi’s mixed feelings on Haste — I can’t bring myself to gem for it, but I sure do like having it around.
- Gnomeaggedon nails the one major problem with the LFG tool: you can’t queue for a dungeon and battleground at the same time.
- Psynister has started up a twinking blog, which is filled with his usual attention to detail. I tell you, twinking blogs are like totally all the rage now. You should try it. And you should read his latest post on Twink Associations, too. *shifty eyes*
- He also has a very good post up on the changes 3.3 brought to Mage leveling, and how you pretty much just fling Fireballs until things are dead now.
- Ihra continues his series on how to heal a battleground. I think Ihra needs to get on Twitter, don’t you?
- Pimp My Ram. Awesome mounts, all of them.
- Removing the level 80s from the 70-79 bracket of AV means that the captains hit like a truck, as Elysiane points out. Protect your damn healers, people!
Some great articles I’ve come across in the past few days:
Okay, folks! Back to 3.3!
I’ve come across several posts recently on battlegrounds that I thought you might enjoy.
- I don’t recall what I was searching for when I stumbled upon this excellent post on the forums about How To Battleground as a Warlock, but it is the most comprehensive guide I’ve ever seen. I’m glad Dusk wrote it, so I don’t feel any pressure to.🙂
- You’ve probably already seen this, but Battleground Independence at the always excellent DoTs and HoTs is worth your time. Cass asks some great questions about the role of a healer when DPS classes are able to be self-sufficient.
- I found Musings on lowbie battlegrounds to match my own experiences of late in the 19 bracket of Warsong Gulch. I am very much enjoying the low level PvP, and will be writing about that soon.
- The latest installment of Zach Yonzon’s series on WoW Insider, Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Arathi Basin, is a fine read. He does a great job of breaking down the basics and getting you ready for the Basin.
- Okay, this one doesn’t have anything to do with battlegrounds, but if you’re like me and have leveled Engineering into the endgame, it’s good to know you can still make gold with it. If you follow me on Twitter you know that I have a fondness for the Auction House and have a close relationship with my banker.